Tuesday, December 11, 2012

The Wheel Deal

Tank and jeans: LF // sweater: H&M // bandeau: Obey // boots: Forever 21

I chose today's outfit with a little help from a tool we all know from second grade art class -- the color wheel! After reading about how to use it to make various fool-proof color combinations, I finally decided to print it out and give it a try. I'm so glad I did because it makes getting dressed so much easier! No more guessing and blindly pairing things together using only your instincts. Psh, instincts. So overrated. :)

By choosing a triad -- which you find by choosing three hues equidistant from each other that form a triangle on the wheel -- of blue, red, and yellow, I created a cheery combination of primary colors that blew the cold wintery gloom away. Well, almost.



Now that I know what a color triad is, I'm noticing them everywhere: in fashion editorials, on the red carpet, in catalogs, even in my own closet. I've been mixing and matching different colored clothing in my closet, only to notice that some of my printed pieces already have triads within them!

Granted, this is probably something you learn in fashion school on day one, but it's been pretty mind blowing for me. I hope it helps you, too! I'm definitely going to experiment with other color wheel techniques using these tips from Lauren Conrad, and this tutorial from ACADEMIchic, but until then, try out a triad sometime this week!





1 comment:

  1. I have done the red-yellow-blue combo and you just made me want to do it again!! i love bright, bold colors!

    ReplyDelete